Saturday, April 19, 2014

Some thoughts on electromyography

I had my EMG two autumns ago after a devastating auto accident left me with permanent nerve damage. I was told it would be uncomfortable but my doctor said because of my tattoos and being able to take needles for lab work like a champ that it wouldn't be bad. My primary doctor was a lying dick. My administering doc was awesome though. She kept the conversation light and quick witted to keep my nerves at bay. (Pun intended) During my EMG I endured more pain than the actual accident itself. At least my body was in shock after the initial injury. My mom drove me to the neurologist for the test. I found that the shocking part of the test was extremely uncomfortable but not impossible to handle. When it came time for the needle portion though I was in excruciating pain. I stayed silent and tried to be compliant but tears were streaming down my face and my body involuntarily shook and lurched forward in pain. It got so bad that my mom had to leave the room. She had been so strong for me throughout everything but couldn't take seeing me in pain anymore. It was a very challenging thing for me to face but prepared me for the pain I endure daily. From the day of the accident, over two years ago, to present day I get sharp, shooting pains down my legs that stop me from walking, standing, etc. However, without the EMG, I wouldn't have gotten the answers and treatments. My particular diagnosis is 7+ years before I become as improved as possible with life long pain and spasms. I will say though, if someone reading this is nervous about an upcoming test, it's okay. It's okay to be nervous or scared. Bring someone along who can hold your hand and stop for ice cream before bringing you home. Try bringing headphones or a good luck charm. Most importantly, try to remember that the test itself is the one hurdle you have to jump before getting the answers to need to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment